LONG ISLAND BULLETIN BOARD

Sachem Unspun - A site devoted to registered voters in the Sachem School District.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:32 am 
Anonymous wrote:
SachemPTAer wrote:
I was just thanking a teacher in the Physical Ed department who finally did something right by my kid. The main reason he was cut as I was told by the coaches was the fact that yes there was only 1 team, he was in 7th grade and in Middle School, and there were only about 7 to 9 positions open for the 7th graders, the rest were eight graders. I am not saying anything about the tryouts. My son is not a top athlete. Although he is getting better as the years go on, he is 13 and 6 foot tall, and will grow to at least 6'5". He gives his all, and that is all I expect of him. Obviously, the Sachem Admin has realized that 1 team per Middle School sport is unrealistic and when 70 kids show up to try out for 20 "supposed" spots, the cut rate is a little too high. Ultimately, it is felt when High School rolls around and they can't get anyone to try out for the baseball team, after they were cut for 2 years. And lets face it, middle school years are tough to predict. How many top basketball, volleyball, baseball, soccer, football, etc. players in Middle School, grow up to be mediocre players in High School? If Sachem ever wants to get back on top in sports they need extra teams to groom in Middle School. And it also doesn't help that some kids are picked at the political level...it shouldn't matter who your father is, who your related too, and if you possibly know personally someone on the board. But then politics is the way of the world, and what goes around comes around. Surprise, Surprise, Sachem sports has gone downhill. Thank God we have a great Varsity Tennis team and wrestling team at North. So my point was that I give kudos to my son's Gym teacher, Ms. Casey who recognizes a kid that is just putting out his all time best and may escalate his sports abilities above and beyond...and maybe not. But either way, he goes down trying. After all, this kid was one of the only kids in his 5th grade graduating class that was quoted as aspiring to be the President of the US...and possibly a pro sports player in his spare time. Now that would be pretty cool!

You say so much where should I start...

1. If he is goibg to be 6'5"' he should be playing basketball and footbal at Sachem North give the coaches a call they will set him up with summer programs to be in where he can get a great look. 471-1400 or 471-1335.

No one can predict how tall someone will eventually be. They can gues but that is all it is, a guess. No matter how tall he gets I hope he makes the best of all of the talents God has given him.

2. The varsity coaches at both buildings at both HS have been trying to get multiple teams at the middle school sine before we split the distrct. It was sold to the coaches as increased teams at the middle school (t support two vialble varsity programs) and in most sports we still have 4 teams (1 in each middle school) not the 8 like the community was told.

Getting two teams at each middle school was a great step toards strengthening the varsity programs at both high school. Now the coaches at the lower levels, niddle school, JV9 and JV, have to realize that at their levels it should not be all about winning and only playing your best athletes for the whole game. Even with two teams at each middle school if the kids go to every practice but never see any playing time in the games how long do you think they are going to stick around? Most will be gone long before they reach the varsity level. And as was stated above, the kid that is not as big or as fast or as strong or as athletic at 13 or 14 years old may end up being your top college prospect at 17 or 18 years old if he/she is given a reason to stick with it from middle school through the varsity level.

3. Politics in the sports world is so overblown its laughable. Don't buy into the hype at the middle schools that politics rules like in the youth leagues. Sachem is not the youth leagues. Coaches and programs look for what they percieve is the best athletes to help their programs.

I agree here to a point. Politics is overblown as an excuse at the high school level. Varsity coaches want to win and to an extent their jobs depend on putting the best product on the field. They are going to play their best players as much as they can.
As for the youth leagues, yes, I agree there is more politics to be seen there but not when it comes to the kids. I have been involved with both SYAG and South SHore over the years and yes, there is politics with the adults, but much less so with the kids. Every kid gets an opportunity to play at both leagues in my experience. the problems start when some of the adults let their ego's get in the way and become more important than doing the right thing for the kids.

4. Sachem North has many programs on the rise after the split.
Boys Lax made the playoffs. Football made the playoffs. Wrestling won the league title. Cheerleading won the national championship. The arrowettes won the Long Island Championship a year ago. basebal made the playoffs a year ago etc etc etc. Please be more informed :)

I agree, both schools are on the rise again since the split. The next few years will be exciting for the local sports fans in Sachem.

5. Ms casey is a great teacher Im glad your son had a chance to have her there are many more at Sachem as well.
I do not know Ms. Caset but I will take your word that she is one of the many wonderful and caring teachers we have here in Sachem.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:20 pm 
I am an old timer with some names most of you wont know.
mr. hart- math senica (died)
mrs vale - guidence senica retired
mrs poland- 4th grade grundy retired
mr davidson- gym (south) died
MR Polick - (my fav) senica music still teaching

Report this post

Post subject: Best teacher
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:50 am 
I have to say Mr Leogrande for English was one of the best teachers I ever had. He actually made learning - fun.

And Coach Westcott - Thank you.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Best teacher
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:09 am 
89 Sachem Grad wrote:
I have to say Mr Leogrande for English was one of the best teachers I ever had. He actually made learning - fun.

Mrs Geller lynwood.
what a teacher should be

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:31 pm 
The Music Department of Waverly GREAT JOB last night

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Best teacher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:19 am 
Anonymous wrote:
89 Sachem Grad wrote:

Mrs Geller lynwood.
what a teacher should be

My kids had Mrs. Geller too. She was the best!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:07 am 
Yeah I hate how everyone complains about how 'bad' our teachers are, even though we have really good ones, well most of them are anyway. This year I have like the best teachers ever. Here are the best teachers at East that I've had

Mr. de Beer- English
Mr. Berger- English
Ms. King- Spanish
Mr. Hartnagel- Chemisty
Mr. Kennedy- Geometry

And there's alot more, I just can't think of them right now. ANd MR. Lemke is really nice, I don't have him but he's the Volunteer Club advisor and he's really nice and he cares about us, he got nominated for NY Teacher of the Year.

Some teachers form Sagamore that are good:

Ms. Pizer- Spanish
Ms. Tebbutt- Biology
Mr. Keene- English/Science (retired I think)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 pm 
My kids had the two teachers mentioned at East.

Give me a break. They have reputations for giving out 90's. Classes are too easy and my kid was very unprepared for AP classes as a junior. All the kids know this. Both classes are a joke. They get no respect from parents or students.

I think the chair funnels all the kids to his SAT business. There is a big conflict of interest. How much chair time does he spend running his business??? Maybe he should focus more on teaching kids???

Dear Parent,

You can't give out 90's if test sores don't support the grade. If the curriculum was too week for your students to master AP classes next year, blame the curriculum.

As respects a teacher's SAT business. Thank God and pay up. Most High Schools all over the USA have such watered down curriculum, 95% of students need extra help to get into a good college. SAT sores also trigger scholarships.
Fred

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:59 pm 
I think if teacher names are going to be used why not the parent's names? And I also wonder the reputation of the kids that are 'victims' of these 'terrible teachers.'

Give me a break Mrs. Way Off! :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:49 am 
way off wrote:
My kids had the two English teachers mentioned at East.

Give me a break. They have reputations for giving out 90's. Classes are too easy and my kid was very unprepared for AP classes as a junior. All the kids know this. Both classes are a joke. They get no respect from parents or students.

I think the chair funnels all the kids to his SAT business. There is a big conflict of interest. How much chair time does he spend running his business??? Maybe he should focus more on teaching kids???

You've obviously never had them as teachers so you can't really judge them as how easy it is. The chair is one of the best teachers I've had, when he teaches you can show he cares and he actually knows how to explain things. And he makes everything interesting and fun, which I guess can get mixed up with being easy. Maybe your kid needed to pay attention more in class.

Report this post

Post subject: east english
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:29 am 
I was referred to him by other parents. I called his office during the school day and talked about his private SAT business and the FREE SAT program at the school. He had nothing good to say about the FREE SAT program which is run by his own teachers. Hmmm. It is a bit disturbing that no one sees how inappropriate it is to be running a private business like the SAT especially if you are the chair??? Why would he not promote his own teachers or the Free program?

The curriculum for English is week. there are many teachers that do go above and beyond the curriculum. It was very easy getting 90s in his class because it wasn't a challenge. My son loved him because he had many jokes. However, jokes alone didn't prepare my kid. Chair read entire books in class as if the students were in 1st grade.

He is a nice man. However, I think he may be burned out or something.

Report this post

Post subject: funny
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:26 am 
ok so if you agree w this please let us all know! hahha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbTZb_adfQ

School's Answering Machine!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 am 
dear all wrote:
ok so if you agree w this please let us all know! hahha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbTZb_adfQ

School's Answering Machine!

Thanks for the laugh :)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:40 am 
the greatest teachers in sachem north are
1. ms mccann
2. miss sementilli
3. mr falco
4. mrs woison-schlitt
5. ms cerra
6. mr young
7. mr obrien
8. mr miller(math)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:28 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
the greatest teachers in sachem north are
1. ms mccann
2. miss sementilli
3. mr Trustee F
4. mrs woison-schlitt
5. ms cerra
6. mr young
7. mr obrien
8. mr miller(math)

Don't forget Mr. Kelleher

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next