LONG ISLAND BULLETIN BOARD

Sachem Unspun - A site devoted to registered voters in the Sachem School District.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2004-05 Budget
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:14 pm 
I am extremely dismayed by the "tactics" being used in the budget being presented to the community this year. What we have to vote on is not a 244 million dollar budget but a 250 million spending plan. If this community approves we are likely lookiing forward to 500 -1000 property tax increases for years to come. If we vote we limit the districts spending to 238 million. If defeated this community can then demand the new board utilize some of the 24 million in reserves, black and fund balance to not harm the children. With Suffolk county likely seeking significant increase also next year, I believe this community must reject this spending plan. Do not give in to Blackmail and smoke and mirrors. Stand up and demand fiscal responsiblity.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:18 pm 
Having served two years in the mid nineties, I came to know Tony Falco as a board member and Linda Past Trustee LR through her then deep involvement in the district. Both are good people and care about the children. I do however have philosophical differneces now as i did then.
In order for Sachem to move forward positively, I believe you need objective business sense. I felt when I served with Tom Dodson and Nick Ulrich we attemped to be fiscally responsible and not "cave" under the trmendous pressure to just give raises for the sake of raises. There is a lucrative step system in place and in order to bring fiscal sanity a new board here in Schem and elsewhere must begin the process of introducing a new tier system into negotiations for new hires. Without this
this district and most others on Long Island will be paying large tax increases for many years to come. The incumbents in my opinion will not change the staus quo. We all care about a good education and opprtunities for the children of this district, but, I believe you need a Board that will bring fiscal responsibilty to the taxpayers. Remember the Board acts upon the Superintendents reccommendation and the sigificant spending increases of te past five years will not in my opinion be curbed with the present board makeup.
The goal must be to provide a quality education within the means of the community. This requires business sense and concern for children. Too often this district spends lavishly without really benefitting the children.
It is a delicate balance and perhaps time for some new faces.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:34 am 
A two tiered pay system for the teachers The union they will go for that... yea right. Good Idea Brian. We need you on the board again. Yea Right... less pay for teachers sounds like tax pac. We could brink back kidpac and it would seem like the 90's. Stop blaming the teachers. We didn't need these buildings and we didn't need these extra teams and duplication of programs.But this community voted for it. Now we have value engineering and double digit tax increases and our administration thinking about nothing but construction for the past four years. I am sure that has been good for education. Get lost Brian I thought we were done with you and those like you. Get a new tune stop blaming the teachers. You wouldn't last one day in a 3rd grade classroom!!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:13 am 
How about placing some blame with Mr “ The X Superintendent” and the BOE!!!! It was 4 years ago at a meeting at Wenonah when he was presenting the bond
issue and why we should pass it. It will cost the tax payers only 120.00
more per year for 20 years to pay our portion of the rebuild. A question was asked from someone to Mr “ The X Superintendent” about how much will it cost to fill the new schools with teachers and other admin. The answer that we heard was its not known yet , but there will be quite a few teachers retiring so for every teacher that retires there will be two more hired for the same cost.Well if this is true then why is our taxes going up by double digits!!!!
THIS MAN WOULD BE FIRED IF HE WORKED IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR.
AND SHAME ON US FOR ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN. BUT LET ME SAY
THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE IN THIS DISTRIST THAT IS NOT HAPPY .
SO MR DIAZ IS NOT THE ONLY ONE PISSED OFF IN THIS DISTRICT AND
MAYBE ITS TIME TO BRING BACK SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A @#$ KISSER
BACK ON THE BOE!!!!!![/b]

Report this post

Post subject: finally the truth
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:36 pm 
[“ The X Superintendent” is like the emperor in star wars he sits on his throne and minipulates all that goes on and when things go wrong like floods at east,3 floods at north that cost thuosands of dollars to fix(who paid), Fields at north that are a hazzard but our children still use them.Would he accept these things at Northport. Has our baseball or softball teams had a home game or practice in two years? The construction at north has a negative impact on learning and nothing is said AP testing goes on while a bulldozer runs outside the building but nothing is said(if you do then you are brought before the emperor and must bow down) We do not want any negative publicity the budget might be voted down. If you spoke out about the increases your job was threatened! One last thing his salarey went up more that 50,000 for the past three years.(correct me if I am wrong Fred)
WHO IS TO BLAME!!!!!!!

An Answer to Mary’s request

[b]“RUCK is like the emperor in star wars he sits on his throne and manipulates all that goes on.â€

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:53 pm 
Teachers won't retire if the district doesn't give an incentive. There are at least 90 teachers in the district in Tier 1 making at or over $100,000. These are the people we need out. Some are very good teachers. Others are sitting back and doing nothing! If it means giving them an incentive to get out I say do it. Why should my child suffer with someone who just sits at their desk all day telling the kids to read the book and answer the questions on the ditto. I wouldn' t mind paying high taxes so much if I knew my child had a GOOD teacher each year! We should not be yelling and complaining to eachother on this board. We should be yelling and complaining down at District Office!

Report this post

Post subject: new tune needed
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:29 am 
Dear new tune

Intoducing new tier systems is not new. The unions will fight heavily but if you do nothing most people will not be able to afford to live here in 5 years if not sooner. I have no intention in running for the board, but when I served i did not blindly go along with the superintendent and I lobbied hard and long to have my voice heard, having to deal with many people opinionated such as yourself. However, during my tenure we passed a zero % tax increase without cutting programs or hurting children. Fiscal
responsibility and tough negotiations work. YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this post

Post subject: New tune needed
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:53 am 
Dear Toon,

I have never blamed the teachers. I blame poor negotiations and fiscal irresponsibilty. I do find it funny that whenever someone seeks fiscal accontabilty they are immediately called tax pac. The only people I ever met who ever used that term was the Teachers Union. ARE YOU A TEACHER? or just a carTOON.
YOU NEED A DIFFERENT TOON

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:43 am 
Fred... What happend in 1992 that made the relationship go sour? Dr “ The X Superintendent” dig a little to deep under that rock you crawled out from under???? Oh we will keep quiet for now... but we know!!!!

Dear knows nothing,
Does everyone named Fred have to be called a snake? Thanks for putting me is such esteemed company.

If you wish to continue kindly start a new topic after the vote. Your post is off topic.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:45 am 
Brian "Tax Fighter" is bad for kids and so are you and fred. We never left just waiting for you to to surface again!!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:21 am 
Why are all or most of the budgets on Long island high this year? Sachem is no different then any other district. Although Brian Diaz and Fred Gorman would like you to think that sachem is the most mismanaged poorly administrated BOE on the island not so look around.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:48 am 
What are you a little kid ? The boy next door is doing it so I can to!!
Most of the Island is like a run away train does that make it right?
Lets just look in our own backyard for now by starting with our 20 mil that the BOE has in the bank thats being held for ransom!!!!

Report this post

Post subject: reserves
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:44 pm 
That's funny, Mike. Referring to the money that the district is holding in reserves as "ransom". You make it sound like if the budget doesn't pass, the board will take that money and have a vacation in Barbados with it. The fact is that that money is being held for use for our schools when it is needed. I suppose you would want a $10 refund check issued to you for your portion instead.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:40 pm 
Beth first of all there is aprox 24 million sitting there now. That is about
900 to 1200 dollars per tax payer in our distrist that is yours and mine. In addition they want us to pay 600-800 $'s more for next year. Did you see what happened in Roslyn last week when someone in their distrist stole
1 million $'s over several years?And the board tried to cover it up! So why stop at Barbados how about a trip around the world!!!!!! And as you could see WE, not I would expect more than 10.00 back. I believe I can manage my money alot better then the board and the good Dr. Remember its our money. How about leaving
5-8 million in reserve ( which still may be to much ) and giving the balance back to us. I have been living here for 18 years , and I think its time for all of us to stop drinking the COOL AID.

Report this post

Post subject: The 20 million ransom
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 am 
I am sick of these comments about holding the $20 million ransom. Sachem is a business. Why Mr. Gorman don't you ever talk about how our excellent credit rating just saved the taxpayers about $ 20 million over the life of the bond for the reconfiguration? We have such an excellent credit rating because we are financially responsible. If the State aid is reduced for Long Island because of the upcoming legislation to give more money to NYC schools then where will the money come from to make up for this possible shortfall? This is why we need to hold reserves. What company would spend all their savings account? You need to stop bad mouthing our district and get up to Albany and tell the Department of Education to stop mandating unfunded requirements on our children.

Dear Ally,

Go to the topic Threats. You will find my post on this subject.

I am sick of board members who deliberately overestimate enrollment and expenses to over charge taxpayers, increase tax above what the voters approve at the tax levy and in mid-year, approve higher budgets than the voters approved. I look at it this way. The BOE deserves the same treatment you would give your child if the told you they need $10.00 for a game. You said OK and your child took $50.00 form you wallet.

Fred Gorman

Report this post