LONG ISLAND BULLETIN BOARD

Sachem Unspun - A site devoted to registered voters in the Sachem School District.
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm 
As I stood on top of the Bleachers the other day watching a lacrosse game, I looked out over the Sachem fields.
What I witnessed was a ton of boys and girls running track, the track was full of kids, enjoying themselves.
I looked out toward Samoset saw 3 baseball fields full of baseball players, the sounds of that game echoed through the fields, looked to the west and saw Varsity, JV9 and Samoset practicing Lacrosse, the sounds of the defenses calling out slides and direction was amazing to hear. I looked to the East and saw the girls lacrosse teams practicing up on the upper field.

All of this sounded like a concert of children playing and participating in something they love. There were hundreds, and I mean Hundreds of children playing and laughing.

And not a School Administrator or Board Member in sight to ruin it.

After leaving the field I stopped at Wendy’s on the corner of Ronkonkoma Ave and Portion Road, only to witness about a dozen other kids on bikes. Watched them for a few minutes, turns out they were destroying the flowerbed in front of Wendy’s to use this as a ramp. When the Shopping center security guard came by to scare them away, they verbally abused the guy with profanity and rude gestures.

I fear what this community will become if the afterschool programs are taken from our kids. I am not just talking about athletics, but all the kids misplaced because their clubs have been cut.

The current BOE and Administration should be ashamed of themselves for making our children pay during these economic difficulties. There is no voice for the children in this current BOE. No voice for the people of this community in this current BOE. The only voice that is being heard at this time is that of the teachers and the administration. I am sick of reading election propaganda claiming that the BOE has anything to do with the current raise in grades and success on the standardized tests.

I applaud the children and teachers for working hard to achieve these results. Not the BOE or the Administration.

We need serious reform in the public school system of New York.

I truly fear what next year will look like when there is a skeleton of this past spring left, and as I picture this in my mind, 2011 may be the last great year for some of these kids in highschool. All becasue the Administration and current BOE has sucked the life out of the clubs, teams, bands, orchestras all to gain in thier pockets, and so they can recieve thier raises and not have to pay a small amount in to thier benefits.

It is a sad, sad day when people use kids as shield from something they are scared of. You should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so this year.

Just my rant, thank you for reading it, Comment as you feel. I am a big boy and can take whatever criticizm you may feel and whatever attacks you may aim my way.

Just one more thought.
Remember back to the days of school, if you could go back and do it again. Wouldnt you like to have the opportunity to participate in whatever you wanted to, not have adults tell you, your not allowed to so they can keep thier raises.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:28 pm 
Great post that hits to the core of what is happening here in Sachem. I am truly torn about today's vote because I don't believe that the kids should suffer at all. I have researched many other districts and with the exception of the extra ms sport team and JV9 most of the kids have been saved. I hate what this district has become and that the BOE feels they have the best interest of the kids in mind. They have publicly discussed nothing in regards to cuts and think that is legal. I read happily the governor's proposal on pension reform and await that passage. Yes teacher's deserve to be paid for their jobs but the kids can no longer suffer so they can get great pay, a pension we pay for and benefits for a live time. It is time to stand up for the students of this district and ask administration which Sachem Family they are in this for. Certainly doesn't appear to be the kids. Please vote today and lets get rid of the incumbents that think they are doing a great job for our kids, how much worse off can we be!!!!!!

Report this post

Post subject: post
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm 
Hey, tell us what athletic programs are being cut. JV9 is being dropped because all the other districts are dropping it and Sachem will not have anybody to play. Eliminating half of the 7/8 grade teams only means there will be half the teams and more kids on each team. What you should be complaining about is the extra curricular activities which will be cut in half. You don't know what you are talking about so stay out on the fields and watch the geese.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 pm 
My point being no other district is cutting clubs just the extra teams. My kids have always done both and I don't believe anything should be cut which is why I am leaning towards a no vote. But in the end there could be no clubs so what are we to do. I go to BOE meetings and there has been no public discussions of the current budget. In fact the night the voted on the budget Timo stated that they were just voting on a dollar amt. BS. Trust me the alternative to the current budget "Stinks" unless we all unite and fight for all the kids. My kids have never played the premier sports and their sport would be the first to be cut on the varsity level, so I say lets put aside the club vs sport mentality and fight for every kid in Sachem.

It is OK to vote NO
Sachem taxes are 15% higher than they have to be
The Board is taxing homeowners out of our homes
Listen to a board member tell you how overtaxed you are

http://www.sachemunspun.com/10106timo.mp3
Your homes are about to pierce the Mortgage Home Value to Taxation ratio. If this happens you will not be able to sell your house.

Listen to Governor Cuomo. http://youtu.be/5lXWHBXpSwA
You can not expect Help from you School Superintendent or School Board. They care more about their intuitions then their communities, your child or you.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: post
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 pm 
guest889 wrote:
Hey, tell us what athletic programs are being cut. JV9 is being dropped because all the other districts are dropping it and Sachem will not have anybody to play. Eliminating half of the 7/8 grade teams only means there will be half the teams and more kids on each team. What you should be complaining about is the extra curricular activities which will be cut in half. You don't know what you are talking about so stay out on the fields and watch the geese.

Here is a Direct Quote from my post, "I fear what this community will become if the afterschool programs are taken from our kids. I am not just talking about athletics, but all the kids misplaced because their clubs have been cut."

See where is states ALL AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS..........
I did mean all of them not just athletics.

My children happen to be athletes and AP Students as well so that is what I experienced.

Part of the post was also that NO school in this country should cut programs for kids. so there would be other JV9 teams to play against and those kids will be kept off the streets to cause problems.

In this day and age how many kids will be headed home to an empty house after school? Due to both parents working, and the divorce rate being so high because families cant make ends meet.

Sounds like you drank the koolaid at the big athletic meeting the other night, oh the meeting the AD was to busy to attend.

I will say it again, this administration and this BOE is a joke. No one is representing the children or the people of this community.

I would rather watch the geese than what this school board is doing to these kids.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 pm 
guest 718 wrote:
My point being no other district is cutting clubs just the extra teams. My kids have always done both and I don't believe anything should be cut which is why I am leaning towards a no vote. But in the end there could be no clubs so what are we to do. I go to BOE meetings and there has been no public discussions of the current budget. In fact the night the voted on the budget Timo stated that they were just voting on a dollar amt. BS. Trust me the alternative to the current budget "Stinks" unless we all unite and fight for all the kids. My kids have never played the premier sports and their sport would be the first to be cut on the varsity level, so I say lets put aside the club vs sport mentality and fight for every kid in Sachem.

It is OK to vote NO
Sachem taxes are 15% higher than they have to be
The Board is taxing homeowners out of our homes
Listen to a board member tell you how overtaxed you are

http://www.sachemunspun.com/10106timo.mp3
Your homes are about to pierce the Mortgage Home Value to Taxation ratio. If this happens you will not be able to sell your house.

Listen to Governor Cuomo. http://youtu.be/5lXWHBXpSwA
You can not expect Help from you School Superintendent or School Board. They care more about their intuitions then their communities, your child or you.

Your right I would vote no if the programs for the kids were restored and the overspending and raises were cut.

Our kids will experience these cuts and are being held hostage.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting rid of the imcumbents is not the answer. As much as people complain, they are the ones that have kept our taxes low,a nd they are the ones, thatup until now, kept programs in place. The new challengers are unproven, and this is not the time to take a chance. Sorry nay Past VPS, I will stick with the ones we know, not the ones we don't. Not to mention the fact that there is a good chance they may have other agendas. the teachers union has their hands all over Ms. Roberts, so that can't be good for us once negotiations come around. They gave her money, so she will be expected to give back.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 pm 
Ms. Roberts has received no money. You better check your facts before you accuse someone of taking a bribe. You do know that that is slander!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Getting rid of the imcumbents is not the answer. As much as people complain, they are the ones that have kept our taxes low,a nd they are the ones, thatup until now, kept programs in place. The new challengers are unproven, and this is not the time to take a chance. Sorry nay Past VPS, I will stick with the ones we know, not the ones we don't. Not to mention the fact that there is a good chance they may have other agendas. the teachers union has their hands all over Ms. Roberts, so that can't be good for us once negotiations come around. They gave her money, so she will be expected to give back.

Licata begged them for the support he is now trashing Roberts for. You cannot have it both ways Mike!!!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: post
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
guest889 wrote:

Here is a Direct Quote from my post, "I fear what this community will become if the afterschool programs are taken from our kids. I am not just talking about athletics, but all the kids misplaced because their clubs have been cut."

See where is states ALL AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS..........
I did mean all of them not just athletics.

My children happen to be athletes and AP Students as well so that is what I experienced.

Part of the post was also that NO school in this country should cut programs for kids. so there would be other JV9 teams to play against and those kids will be kept off the streets to cause problems.

Well fool other schools in this country(?) (or do you mean county?),have cut programs why? because they don't have the money, so how stupid would sachem be to keep sport teams that have no one else to play?

In this day and age how many kids will be headed home to an empty house after school? Due to both parents working, and the divorce rate being so high because families cant make ends meet.

That is a societal problem don't blame your BOE becuase they don't have the money or taxpayers because they are sick of spending

Sounds like you drank the koolaid at the big athletic meeting the other night, oh the meeting the AD was to busy to attend.

Its been explained about the ADs absence you are being ugly here.

I will say it again, this administration and this BOE is a joke. No one is representing the children or the people of this community.

Who do you suggest? the teachers UNION, NYSUT? You only care about your own children not any other kid in this community

I would rather watch the geese than what this school board is doing to these kids.

At least you would have something constructive to do.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
As I stood on top of the Bleachers the other day watching a lacrosse game, I looked out over the Sachem fields.
What I witnessed was a ton of boys and girls running track, the track was full of kids, enjoying themselves.
I looked out toward Samoset saw 3 baseball fields full of baseball players, the sounds of that game echoed through the fields, looked to the west and saw Varsity, JV9 and Samoset practicing Lacrosse, the sounds of the defenses calling out slides and direction was amazing to hear. I looked to the East and saw the girls lacrosse teams practicing up on the upper field.

All of this sounded like a concert of children playing and participating in something they love. There were hundreds, and I mean Hundreds of children playing and laughing.

After leaving the field I stopped at Wendy’s on the corner of Ronkonkoma Ave and Portion Road, only to witness about a dozen other kids on bikes. Watched them for a few minutes, turns out they were destroying the flowerbed in front of Wendy’s to use this as a ramp. When the Shopping center security guard came by to scare them away, they verbally abused the guy with profanity and rude gestures.

I fear what this community will become if the afterschool programs are taken from our kids. I am not just talking about athletics, but all the kids misplaced because their clubs have been cut.

The current BOE and Administration should be ashamed of themselves for making our children pay during these economic difficulties. There is no voice for the children in this current BOE. No voice for the people of this community in this current BOE. The only voice that is being heard at this time is that of the teachers and the administration. I am sick of reading election propaganda claiming that the BOE has anything to do with the current raise in grades and success on the standardized tests.

I applaud the children and teachers for working hard to achieve these results. Not the BOE or the Administration.

I truly fear what next year will look like when there is a skeleton of this past spring left, and as I picture this in my mind, 2011 may be the last great year for some of these kids in highschool. All becasue the Administration and current BOE has sucked the life out of the clubs, teams, bands, orchestras all to gain in thier pockets, and so they can recieve thier raises and not have to pay a small amount in to thier benefits.

It is a sad, sad day when people use kids as shield from something they are scared of. You should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so this year.

Just my rant, thank you for reading it, Comment as you feel. I am a big boy and can take whatever criticizm you may feel and whatever attacks you may aim my way.

Just one more thought.
Remember back to the days of school, if you could go back and do it again. Wouldnt you like to have the opportunity to participate in whatever you wanted to, not have adults tell you, your not allowed to so they can keep thier raises.

Great post and right on!!! Maybe we both could run for 2 BOE spots next year!! We need more people from the community that represents the taxpayer and children.. Everyone should vote NO, and the programs will not be lost!!! This board will cave to the biggest crowd of taxpayers at that next board meeting....Its all threats, and the programs will be restored...Christine voted to put the additional 2 mil dollars towards this budget, but was out voted to put the money in reserves...We have millions of dollars in reserves and the thought that the rest of the BOE would use this to threaten this community is beyond criminal to me !!! So VOTE NO, and vote for Christine.....

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 pm 
guest 718 wrote:
Ms. Roberts has received no money. You better check your facts before you accuse someone of taking a bribe. You do know that that is slander!

Oh, OK, let's rephrase "the teachers union PAID for her campaign"

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:39 am 
Anonymous wrote:
guest 718 wrote:

Oh, OK, let's rephrase "the teachers union PAID for her campaign"

Nice rephrase now if the other poster only knew the difference between slander and libel. Either roberts is a stooge of the union.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 am 
Anonymous wrote:

Just one more thought.

We have clubs and sports programs now and these kids are out there being destructive. I know sports kids who do bad things, and kids that are not into sports who are great, it's how you raise your kids, not the amount of after school activities available that make good kids.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:19 am 
Resident 3 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Just one more thought.

We have clubs and sports programs now and these kids are out there being destructive. I know sports kids who do bad things, and kids that are not into sports who are great, it's how you raise your kids, not the amount of after school activities available that make good kids.

I have to agree with you. Despite the clubs and sports teams that are currently available, there are still tons of kids out there causing havoc. I see it every day in my neighborhood. I don't need the excuses that these children are left unsupervised and what else do we expect? I expect parents to do their job and raise their children appropriately and to respect others and their property. The really disappointing part is that most of these obnoxious kids in my neighborhood have parents who are home and are available to supervise them, but choose not to. Let's not put the blame on the availability of after school activities. It's time for parents to step up and raise their children.

Report this post