LONG ISLAND BULLETIN BOARD

Sachem Unspun - A site devoted to registered voters in the Sachem School District.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY State Lottery System
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 pm 
I was under the impression that the New York State Lottery System was put into place to help supplement the school districts in the state aid it receives.

I looked at the 2010 Annual Financial report for NY State Lottery and was surprised to find that the NYS Lottery Required Aid to Education for 2010 was $2,543,950,000.00 YES THATS OVER $2 BILLION DOLLARS!

I also looked up how many school districts there are in NYS. I found a number of 811 School Districts. Not size or students. Just districts.

2 billion divided by 811 equals $3,126,806.411 per school district. Yes OVER $3 Million Dollars!

Sachem, The largest School district in NYS, our budget was what $2.6 million?

Where is the money for the kids through this program?

Mr. Cuomo, Sounds like you got some splaining to do!

LI Budgets $10,807,912,,595 State aid $2,064,133,155 Local Taxpayers $8,033,830,212 $1,437,227,528 (over taxation)

Sachem Budget $287,834,125… State aid… $98,293,100 Local Taxpayers … $189541025 …$72,000,000 (over taxation est)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 pm 
Ok screwed up the numbers badly on that.............

Still there is 3 billion dollars in NYS funds that should prevent any programs from being cut from the kids.

Sorry for the misplaced decimal!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:34 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I was under the impression that the New York State Lottery System was put into place to help supplement the school districts in the state aid it receives.

I looked at the 2010 Annual Financial report for NY State Lottery and was surprised to find that the NYS Lottery Required Aid to Education for 2010 was $2,543,950,000.00 YES THATS OVER $2 BILLION DOLLARS!

I also looked up how many school districts there are in NYS. I found a number of 811 School Districts. Not size or students. Just districts.

2 billion divided by 811 equals $3,126,806.411 per school district. Yes OVER $3 Million Dollars!

Sachem, The largest School district in NYS, our budget was what $2.6 million?

Where is the money for the kids through this program?

Mr. Cuomo, Sounds like you got some splaining to do!

First, Coumo doesn't have any splaining to do since this system has been in palce for 40 years or more,
second this isn't being run by bookies, it is being run by the state and the state always seems to have a lot of overhead,I bet (no pun intended) that only a small percentage of those funds are available for education.There are to many hands in the pie. It is a government run system and they tend to use that money to line pockets and for every other thing that needs to be bailed out. Is the figure you mention gross earnings or is it after the prizes are paid out? I'll wager before long some one here will have a more accurate breakdown. In either case i doubt we will like what we find.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 am 
The amount is exactly what I said it was;

NYS Lottery Required Aid to Education for 2010 was $2,543,950,000.00

Required aid to education was 2,543,950,000.00

The Net Lotto revenue for 2010 was 7,818,316,000.

here is the link to the website.
http://nylottery.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c ... l+Reports/

So it has been corrupt for 40 years.

Shouldnt it be fixed and it is only someones problem when that person is in office.

Yes Currently Cuomo would have to explain this.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 am 
So it has been corrupt for 40 years.

Shouldnt it be fixed and it is only someones problem when that person is in office.

Yes Currently Cuomo would have to explain this.[/quote]

What you are not understanding is that the 2.6 billion from the lottery to education is already included in the 16 billion that the state pays. It is a backdoor way of spending an additional 2.6 billion instead of the lottery money actually being EXTRA money to be used for education. What should happen is that the state should spend 16 billion on education and THEN add in the lottery money, they don't.Of course I believe the state needs to spend a lot less on education but actually start spending it efficiently so more actually goes to the students. A novel idea. We spend more then enough on education we just aren't getting any bang for the buck, to much is tied up in benefits salaries and admnistration.
it would be nice to have an affordable education budget state wide and then whatever the lottery brought in would go to enhancements for the students ,not raises for people in education.

Report this post