LONG ISLAND BULLETIN BOARD

Sachem Unspun - A site devoted to registered voters in the Sachem School District.
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:38 am 

Hello. My name is David Rubin. I am running for Farmingville Fire Commissioner. I have seen a lot of questions here, wondering who I am, so I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I have worked in emergency services for over 15 years, for various local fire departments. I have been a resident of Farmingville, along with my wife and children, for almost 7 years. While I have the utmost respect for volunteer firefighters, I am not one. So, why am I running? I want to ensure that tax dollars are spent wisely and properly. I want to make sure that things are done the ‘right way’, not the corrupt way.

There has been talk of me being ‘a puppet of Steve Curtin’. I do consider Steve a friend and ally. However, I am certainly not a puppet. I have chosen to run for commissioner because I want to see positive change for Farmingville, and believe that I can help make that happen. Status quo is no longer acceptable to me, and should not be to you, the homeowner and taxpayer, either.

Some facts regarding the campaign being run by my competition (the incumbent). First, we start off with a visit to my home from the commissioner that I am challenging; on the day I submitted my petition to the fire district. Is this crossing the line? You decide. Then, we have my campaign sign displayed in a store front of a local business. Someone from the challenger’s support group decides to "advise" the owner that the challenger comes in here to eat and if he sees the sign he will tell everyone at the firehouse not to frequent that business anymore. Legal? Maybe, maybe not. Right? You decide. I sure don’t think so. I guess at this point, my competition and his supporters are scared of me running for "PUBLIC OFFICE". Just this morning, I find that the ‘someone’ has DESTROYED my campaign signs. Again, is this acceptable???? It sure shouldn’t be!

So, I ask the public to think about who you will vote for. This is an elected position and not a closed group. Anyone should be able to join this race without fear of intimidation, property damage, etc. And, do you really want someone in charge who will engage in this type of ‘campaigning’?

David Rubin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:11 am 
Dave I'm the one who told the Ronkonkoma Diner owner that John also eats thier,I never said anything about the firemen not patronizing in fact on any given weekend morning you could always find a fireman eating there.I never told or suggested that he remove the sign infact he said you told him if any firemen come in to take it out of the window.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:19 am 
If your not a PUPPET then why are you letting Steve run a negative campain for you and not on any positive that you have done.

Report this post

Post subject: Responses to Guests
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 am 

Guest 1: That is not what I was told. I did tell the diner owner that if there was any trouble because of my campaign sign, to take it down. This is his business, and I did not want any campaigning to negatively affect him. He apparently was threatened enough by your comments to feel that he should take the sign down.

Guest 2: Steve is not running my campaign. I am. As i stated previously, Steve is a friend and ally, and I do appreciate his input. However, it is MY CAMPAIGN. As for running a negative campaign, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I have not stated anything that was not truthful. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about my opponent.

Finally, both guests - is there a reason you are afraid to post your name?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 am 
my comment that John also eats here is bad.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:41 am 
If steve curtin and robe heller really want to save the tax payers money, ask them why heller has not attended the budget preperation meetings for the last 2 years. Lowering the budget is already on the adjenda for 2011 due to the fact that the construction is done, and the money is there for the new rescue truck and 2 new ambulances.

The board has ran a balanced budget for the last 3 years, not like in the past when they spent reserves for 5 years and then raised the budget 21%, Thanks Steve.

Claiming to not know about the new cell tower. He had home owners attend a meeting believing it could be stopped, when for the last 7 years he has known about it and never once opposed it, Thats right it is election time. Ask him about his illegal use of the fire district credit card. Why does he owe the tax payers over $1000. He and heller made a motion to waive his debt to the tax payers. Heller an outsider, good choice, he has made only about 30% of the district meetings.

Steve sued the district because he was suspended by the Chief, insurance company settled with him for $4000 because it was cheeper than going to court. AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE BOARD. He made a statement that it was easy money and would do it every month,, THATS THE WAY TO HELP OUT THE TAXPAYERS.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 am 
steve curtin and robe heller really want to save the tax payers money, ask them why heller has not attended the budget preperation meetings for the last 2 years. Lowering the budget is already on the adjenda for 2011 due to the fact that the construction is done, and the money is there for the new rescue truck and 2 new ambulances.

The board has ran a balanced budget for the last 3 years, not like in the past when they spent reserves for 5 years and then raised the budget 21%, Thanks Steve.

Claiming to not know about the new cell tower. He had home owners attend a meeting believing it could be stopped, when for the last 7 years he has known about it and never once opposed it, Thats right it is election time. Ask him about his illegal use of the fire district credit card. Why does he owe the tax payers over $1000. He and heller made a motion to waive his debt to the tax payers. Heller an outsider, good choice, he has made only about 30% of the district meetings.

Steve sued the district because he was suspended by the Chief, insurance company settled with him for $4000 because it was cheeper than going to court. AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE BOARD. He made a statement that it was easy money and would do it every month,, THATS THE WAY TO HELP OUT THE TAXPAYERS

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:00 am 
If you are running on your own how come you have not put out any signs on your own, why is steve out every night and day putting them up and moving them.

Why is your mailed literature sent using steves bulk mailing permit. That right you are running on your own. Gipetto pulls no strings here, and if we don,t believe you, we can ask steve.

Thats right this is the same steve that was notified by the postal inspector to stop stuffing mail boxes illegaly and avoiding postal fees. And yes he was seen stuffing mail boxes 2 weeks ago with paper work your name on it. Your only fire department experiance is making a living off of it dispatching, try volunteering, do something for nothing. Be a volunteer not an employee.

Report this post

Post subject: Commissioners Election
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am 
Mr. Rubin I feel bad for you and alot of residents for being so miss led by Steve Curtin to believe in his lies. You say you want to make sure you want things to be run the right way not the corrupt way. Everything that is done on a district level is run through legal counsel...You say you want a positive change...What are you and Steve talking about?? You say you have worked in emergency services for 15 years. In what capacity??? How does that make you qualified to be a better commissioner than Caputo?? You say you have the utmost respect for volunteer firefighters..So why are you going against the Farmingville Fire Department?? They are supporting Caputo... There is an old saying "Don't ask someone to do something unless you would do it yourself" Become a Volunteer Firemen or EMT...I have..What are your excuses??
I think the incumbent came to your house to let you know what you were in for listening to Steve Curtin just like he did with Keith Delmar on Hanrahan Ave. when he was going to run...Ask Keith what he thinks of Curtin who BSed him just like he BSed you and everyone else he talks to.
The destroying of your campaign signs is an old Steve Curtin trick to get the sympathy vote..He has done it before and will do it again..Caputo wouldn't do that because he doesn't want it happening to his signs..Smarten up..
You got some case talking about campaign practices when you and your buddy Steve have illegally stuffed mailboxes all over Farmingville with lies about what the district is spending money on that wasn't even approved....Lies..Lies..Lies...You want to lower my Fire Taxes 10% Big deal $35 and how much are you going to raise them in 2012 and forward?? People aren't stupid...I will pay the extra $35 a year not to upset the VOLUNTEERS...
True this is an elected position that anyone can run in....But the truth is the best qualified person for the job certainly is not you.....Don't be another shine boy for Curtin,the last one Heller is a Sheriff in Virginia 3 days a week and hasn't showed up to a budget meeting since he was elected,, drop out before you destroy the remaining moral of your volunteers or we are all in for certain higher taxes when we have to pay firemen to show up for alarms..The volunteers do not want to serve under a Curtin controlled board..I support the other Volunteers and that means I support CAPUTO he is doing a great job...

Ask the Chief Charlie Turano on down.....Please Support your Volunteers on December 8th between 3-9 PM at the Main Fire house....

Report this post

Post subject: Responses -
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:04 am 

Guests 2 and 3 (I assume you are the same person): Again, I will ask – why are you unwilling to post your name? You seem to feel pretty strongly about this issue.
That is good to know that lowering the budget is already on the agenda – it will certainly help to expedite the process. However, if there are not 3 votes to lower it, that agenda item will obviously not pass. So, in conjunction with Rob and Steve’s votes, my vote would provide the 3 required to allow a budget cut to pass.

‘Flush’: I have put out many signs - I wonder where you are getting your ‘facts’? As for Steve’s bulk mail permit, let me reiterate, again. Steve is a friend and ally, and he does indeed support my candidacy. As such, he is allowing me to use his mail permit, as opposed to me obtaining my own permit. Finally, you are correct that I am not a volunteer fireman, as I stated in my original post. In case you are unaware, fire commissioner is also an UNPAID volunteer (elected) position.

‘Eyeonu’: Do not feel bad for me - I have entered into this campaign with my eyes wide open, and I have no intention of dropping out of this race. I have held positions of both an emergency services dispatcher and a communications supervisor over the past 15+ years. As stated previously, I wish to examine and cut unnecessary spending to assist the taxpayers. The current regime, including Caputo, has entered into questionable practices, and I would like to change that going forward. All flyers and mailers that have been distributed are truthful, as will be all future ones that come from my campaign.
I am not going ‘against the Farmingville Fire Department’, as you stated. On the contrary, I wish to, and fully intend to, support the department. Presumably, (but again, just a guess, due to your apparent unwillingness to put a name to your strong statements), you are a member in Farmingville? Please correct me if I’m wrong on that. You may want to ask around your department – you might be surprised how many volunteers do not feel the same as you, in your support of Caputo.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:04 am 
David we might not like Caputo but we are sicken by that useless piece of dirt that you alined yuorself with so if you really want the job run in 3or4 years when one of them are up .I guess there is no one in Holbrook like Steven,just ask that board how they feel about him?

Report this post

Post subject: commissioners election
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:51 am 
Your eyes might be wide open but they have been clouded over with smoke and your not even a firemen....OK so you can talk on a fire radio and thats what makes you better than Caputo..NOT..You have some HUGE shoes to fill if you take his spot...I'm curious how you will do all this work as a fire commissioner and attend commissioners meetings at night when your suppose to be working in Holbrook you say you have plenty of time to be a volunteer commissioner but not enough time to be a volunteer firemen or EMT...Bull...I think you may have issues??
How about addressing all the other issues I posted?? If you can't answer them now how are you going to be able to address them when you are a commissioner??? The info in that flyer you put out about fun and games had wish list items that never were approved by the commissioners, that was a lie..If you fully intend to support the department why aren't you supporting Caputo like they are....You speak with a forked tongue and your not even in office yet Curtin has really been schooling you...for all I know this is Curtin...If your not with the Firemen than you are against them...Plain and simple,,,birds of a feather flock together and anyone trying to fly with Curtin is a Turkey....Your damn right I have strong statements because I see someone like you who is totally unqualified trying to get elected to a position on making decisions on my taxes, fire equiptment and fire protection with no Education, Fire Training, or life experiences that support the position.....You are not the better man for the job....

Report this post

Post subject: good luck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:16 am 
david, hope you can get in to this "boys club" and do some good. most taxpayers don't pay attention to the fire department until we get our taxes or see the volunteers doing something stupid. good luck

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:34 am 

‘Eyeonu’: Yes - you have strong statements about my qualifications. So, how about posting a name to go with those statements? I did not ever say that I do not have time to be a volunteer fireman or EMT. This is how I’m choosing to get involved – by running for commissioner to make a positive change. I believe I did address all of your questions. If you have further questions, feel free to ask them, and I’d be happy to answer them. As I stated previously, don’t be so sure that ‘the department’ is supporting Caputo.

'F'ville Taxpayer': Thank you for your support. I appreciate it.

David Rubin

Report this post
 Post subject: earn an honest living
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 am 
volunteers at farmingville = wannabe city firemen who can't pass the physical or psych evals! GO PAID LONG ISLAND

Report this post